How to File a Complaint about an Optician

We accept complaints about the conduct or competence of an optician from patients, their families, employers, or colleagues. 

When you have a concern about an optician's practice, we recommend:
 If possible, discuss the problem directly with the optician or their manager.
 Or submit a written complaint to us. 

Please note, our College does not have jurisdiction to investigate concern about business practices; financial matters; poor service; or the manners of the Licensed Opticians.
These concerns should generally be referred to the manager to the optical store. You may also consider contacting the BC Better Business Bureau or the Small Claims Court. The college has limited legal authority or jurisdiction over optical stores, dispensaries, corporations and their non-optician owners or managers.

Submitting a complaint:
Complaints must be submitted by completing the complaint form at the bottom of this page. You may wish to send in supporting documentation, or an additional letter. Please send all supporting documentation to the College by email, fax, or mail. Complaints must describe a specific concern about the conduct or competence an individual optician. 

Preparing your complaint:
The form must include:
  • Your name, address, phone number and/or email where you can be reached. 
  • The name of the optician about whom you are making the complaint. If you don’t know the optician's name, we may be able to assist you to take steps to identify the optician.
  • The location where the complaint arose. 
Details of the complaint:
In order for us to investigate your complaint, we require specific details about what happened. For example:
  1. What did the optician do to cause you concern? Please be as specific as possible in describing what took place. 
  2. When did the incident(s) occur?
  3. Describe in detail how you attempted to address these concerns with the optician and/or the manager. Please provide the name of anyone you spoke to in an effort to address your concerns. 
  4. Please describe how you think your concerns could be resolved.
How to submit your complaint:

Send your complaint and supporting documentation to us by:

 Fax: (604) 742-6473
 Mail: 900 - 200 Granville Street, Vancouver BC, V6C 1S4

If you have any questions or require assistance filling out the complaint form, call: (604) 742-6472 ext. 8602 or email:

Public Protection
Skip Navigation Links.