The mission of the College of Opticians of British Columbia (COBC) is to ensure that Licensed Opticians provide safe, quality vision care to the public. Should you feel that you have had an experience to the contrary, please let the College know. The College investigates all complaints related to a Licensed Optician's professional practice.
When you have a concern about an optician:
COBC receives complaints about the conduct or competence of an optician from patients and their families, employers, and colleagues.
When you have a concern about an optician's practice, we recommend:
If possible, you discuss the problem directly with the optician.
Regardless of how (or whether) you attempt to address your concern directly with the optician or manager, you can always submit a written complaint to COBC.
Submitting a written complaint to COBC
Complaints must be submitted by completing this complaint form and sending it to COBC by email, fax or mail. Complaints must describe a specific concern about the conduct or competence an individual optician.
Preparing your complaint
The form must include:
- Your name, address, phone number and/or email where you can be reached.
- The name of the optician about whom you are making the complaint. If you don’t know the optician's name, COBC may be able to assist you to take steps to identify the optician.
- The location where the complaint arose.
Details of the complaint
In order for us to investigate your complaint, we require specific details about what happened. For example:
1) What did the optician do to cause you concern? Please be as specific as possible in describing what took place.
2) When did the incident(s) occur?
3) Were there any witnesses to the incident(s)? If so, what do you believe they witnessed? Please provide the name and contact information for the witnesses.
4) Describe in detail how you attempted to address these concerns with the optician and/or the manager. Please provide the name of anyone you spoke to in an effort to address your concerns. Please include any contact information you have for each individual, such as their title, phone number and/or email address.
5) Please describe how you think your concerns could be resolved.
How to submit your complaint
Send your complaint and supporting documentation to COBC by:
- Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 604.278.7594
- Mail: 2855 Arbutus St, Vancouver BC, V6J 3Y8
Important: In the course of an investigation, information provided will be disclosed, where relevant, to the optician and witnesses in the course of the investigation. This disclosure is in accordance the Health Professions Act. Although most written complaints are resolved without a discipline hearing, information provided to or obtained by COBC in the course of investigation may become public if a hearing is required.
If you have any questions or require assistance filling out the complaint form, call: 604.278.7510 ext. 201 or email: email@example.com
Please note that:
The College does not have jurisdiction to investigate concern about business practices; financial matters (prices, warranty and refund); poor service, or the manners of the Licensed Optician (e.g rudeness). These concerns should generally be referred to the manager to the optical store. You may also consider contacting the BC Better Business Bureau or the Small Claims Court. The college has limited legal authority or jurisdiction over optical stores, dispensaries, corporations and their non-optician owners or managers.